Pages

May 18, 2012

On 18 March 1990, George HW Bush banned broccoli from being served on Air Force One

On 18 March 1990, George HW Bush banned broccoli from being served on Air Force One, saying:
"I do not like broccoli and I haven't liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I'm President of the United States and I'm not going to eat any more broccoli"

(George HW Bush, 41st President of the United States)

When challenged at a later news conference about the statement effect this had had on broccoli sales, and the fact that enraged broccoli farmers were sending 20,000 pounds of their produce to Washington, the President added:
"Now look, this is the last statement I'm going to have on broccoli.
There are truckloads of broccoli at this very minute descending on Washington.
My family is divided.
For the broccoli vote out there: Barbara loves broccoli.
She has tried to make me eat it.
She eats it all the time herself. So she can go out and meet the caravan of broccoli that's coming in."

In September, 1990 when Bush arrived on Air Force one for the initial inspection of the brand new planen, there was a sign posted in the galley showing a bunch of broccoli with a slash through it and a note underneath it saying 'broccoli free zone'.

No comments:

Post a Comment