Pumpkin seeds are the only seed that is alkaline-forming; in this world of highly acidic diets, that is a very good thing.
Did You Know? History and Interesting Trivia
- Pumpkin seeds were discovered by archaeologists in caves in Mexico that date back to 7,000 B.C.
- North American tribes were the very first to observe the particular miracle in pumpkin seeds. Pumpkins and their seeds were an important Native American Indian food used for their dietary and medicinal properties.
- Pumpkin seeds are called pepitas in Mexico and they are a trademark of Mexican cuisine.
- Pumpkin seeds were very popular in ancient Greece.
- The nutrition in pumpkin seeds improves with age; they are among the few foods that increase in nutritive value as they decompose. According to tests made at the Massachusetts Experimental Station, squash and pumpkin seeds stored for more than five months show a marked increase in protein content.
- Pumpkin seeds are high in calories, about 559 calories per 100 g.