Pages

June 05, 2012

Man with no arms biking from Florida to New York



An athlete who's missing something many of us take for granted stopped in Wilmington as part of his bike trip from Florida to New York City.

In 1992, Hector Picard was electrocuted while working on a transformer substation. 13,000 volts of electricity rushed through his body. He suffered third-degree burns and lost both his arms.

"I just try to focus on being centered on the bike," Picard said. "I do actually hold on with my stump with just my arm and I tend to get a lot of stress in the right side. But, it's not something I can't do."

Sunday he traveled more than 115 miles from Shawn Spencer's store Bike Cycles in Wilmington to Greenville, NC.

"That's more than the racer bike, tight clothes wearing guy would ride normally anyway and he's doing it day after day after day, all the way up the east coast," Spencer said.

Picard said he started biking when he wanted to start doing triathlons a few years ago. He had the swimming and the running down, but still had to tackle the biking.

"I had to figure out a way to do that and I just got hooked," he said.

Now he rides a customized bike that has a special gear shift, drink compartment, brakes and other things that allow him to control the bike with what's left of his one arm.

"I've just met some wonderful people. It's been a great experience and they mention the fact that I motivate them. But they motivate me as well, so I keep going," Picard said.

Hector said if anyone can figure out a way to get back on his feet again, anyone can.

"Life is a gift, it's meant to be enjoyed and lived to the fullest and I've decided to do that," he said.

He's riding for the I Will Foundation. That group helps folks to overcome life-altering injuries.

He also set up a website where you can track his progress and find out more about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment