Pages

May 06, 2013

US women abducted ten years ago found alive

Two women who were abducted as teenagers about a decade ago in the US have been found at a house in Cleveland, not far from where they disappeared.
Amanda Berry (L) and Georgina DeJesus (R), both who went missing as teenagers about a decade ago

Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus were found after a neighbour heard screaming and called 911, according to WKYC.com.

Berry disappeared at age 16 on April 21, 2003, when she called her sister to say she was getting a ride home from her job at a Burger King. DeJesus went missing at age 14 on her way home from school about a year later.

A third woman named Michelle Knight was also found at the house.

Children were also found at the property. Police have arrested a 52-year-old man in relation to the abductions. Two of his brothers have also been detained.

The women were discovered when a neighbour was alerted to their presence by screams from the house. He rushed to the property, where one of the women used his mobile phone to call 911, according to Cleveland police.
"I heard screaming - I see this girl going nuts trying to get outside," Charles Ramsey, the man who found them, told WEWS.

"I go on the porch and she said 'Help me get out. I've been here a long time.' - She comes out with a little girl ... 'Call 911, my name is Amanda Berry'... When she told me it didn't register."

He said he kicked the bottom of the door open so Ms Berry could crawl out as the man ran from the house. She emerged with a young child, he said.

All three women have since been taken to a hospital, where they were reported to be in good medical condition, police said. They will be reunited with the remaining members of their families at the hospital, Cleveland's Channel 5 News reported.

"I am thankful that Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight have been found alive. We have many unanswered questions regarding this case and the investigation will be ongoing. Again, I am thankful that these three young ladies are found and alive," Mayor Frank Jackson said.

Loved ones said they hadn't given up hope of seeing Ms Berry and Ms DeJesus again. Among them was Kayla Rogers, a childhood friend of Ms DeJesus.

"I've been praying, never forgot about her, ever," she told The Plain Dealer. "This is amazing. This is a celebration. I'm so happy. I just want to see her walk out of those doors so I can hug her."

Ms Berry's cousin Tasheena Mitchell told the newspaper she couldn't wait to hug her.

"I'm going to hold her, and I'm going to squeeze her and I probably won't let her go," she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment