In this list some quotes from both the Christian Bible and the Muslim Qur’an. Some of the words and names have been changed so as to make it less obvious which book they are from. Your job will be to figure out which holy book made each quote. The goal of this game is to show Christians and Muslims alike that there are many similarities between both faiths (and yes, I know there are many differences, too). By recognizing how much we have in common, we can hopefully bridge a gap and open ourselves to more acceptance and understanding. Oh, and as a side note, terrorists are not Muslims. They are terrorists who distort and assault the religion for their own purposes. So grab a piece of paper and something to write with, and let’s play!
1. Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the [holy man] who represents God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged.
2. All who curse their father or mother must be put to death.
3. I decided to order a man to lead the prayer and then take a flame to burn all those, who had not left their houses for the prayer, burning them alive inside their homes.
4. Fight them until there is no more [disbelief or worshiping of other gods] and worship is for God alone.
5. Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household.
6. Make ready to slaughter [the infidel’s] sons for the guilt of their fathers; Lest they rise and posses the earth, and fill the breadth of the world with tyrants.
7. [God’s messenger]… was asked whether it was permissible to attack the pagan warriors at night with the probability of exposing their women and children to danger. The [holy man] replied, “They [women and children] are from them [unbelievers].”
8. If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death.
9. We took all his cities at that time, and we utterly destroyed the men, women, and little ones of every city; we left none remaining
10. When we resolve to raze a city, we first give warning to those of its people who live in comfort. If they persist in sin, judgment is irrevocably passed, and we destroy it utterly.
11. Slay the idolaters wherever you find them. Arrest them, besiege them, and lie in ambush everywhere for them.
12. When God delivers them over to you, you shall conquer them and utterly destroy. You shall make no covenant with them nor show mercy to them.
13. Fight for the sake of God those that fight against you, but do not attack them first. God does not love aggressors.
14. Anyone else who goes too near the [Holy Place] will be executed.
15. Anyone who blasphemes God’s name must be stoned to death by the whole community of [believers].
16. God’s Apostle said, “I have been ordered to fight the people till they say: ‘None has the right to be worshiped but God’.
17. I shall terrorize the [heathens]. So wound their bodies and incapacitate them, because they oppose God and his apostle.
How do you think you did? Did you notice any patterns in there? There was a whole lot a violence, it seems. A bunch of “putting to death.” When Christians look at Muslims and call them all terrorists, are they not ignoring their own Holy book’s calls to violence? Just as the vast majority of Christians ignore these ancient, violent instructions, so too do most modern Muslims. Check out the answers below, and comment with how you did.
1. Bible: Deuteronomy 17:12
2. Bible: Leviticus 20:9
3. Qur’an: Bukhari 11:626;
4. Qur’an: 2:193;
5. Bible: Matthew 10:34-35
6. Bible: Isaiah 14:21
7. Qur’an: Bukhari 52:256
8. Bible: Leviticus 20:10
9. Bible: Deuteronomy 2:34
10. Qur’an: 17:16
11. Qur’an: 9:5
12. Bible: Deuteronomy 7:2
13. Qur’an: 2:190
14. Bible: Numbers 1:51 NLT
15. Bible: Leviticus 24:16
16. Qur’an: Bukhari 8:387
17. Qur’an: 8:12
So, how did you do?