Pages

November 04, 2015

Parents: First-grader suspended after pretending to be Power Ranger during recess

A first-grader was suspended from school after pretending to be a Power Ranger during recess, his parents say.
The boy’s parents, Matthew and Martha Miele, say their son was playing a game of Power Rangers at recess when their son pretended to shoot another student with an imaginary bow and arrow.
The principal suspended the 6-year-old student for three days.
Principal Joe Crachiolo called Martha Miele to let her know about the situation.
“I didn’t really understand. I had him on the phone for a good amount of time so he could really explain to me what he was trying to tell me,” Martha Miele told WLWT. “My question to him was ‘Is this really necessary? Does this really need to be a three-day suspension under the circumstances that he was playing and he’s 6 years old?'”
The Mieles begged the principal to reconsider.
“He told me that he was going to stand firm and that he was not going to change it,” Martha Miele said.
Principal Crachiolo sent a letter home to parents stating in part:
“I have no tolerance for any real, pretend, or imitated violence. The punishment is an out of school suspension.”
“I think he’s a good principal. I just think a bad decision was made,” Matthew Miele said.
The boy’s parents believe the punishment was extreme for a 6-year-old.
“I can’t stop him from pretending to be a super hero. I can’t stop him from playing ninja turtles. I can’t stop him from doing these things and I don’t think it would be healthy to do so,” Martha Miele said.
“His imagination can go limitless places. We try to encourage that as parents,” Matthew Miele said.
The Mieles told WLWT that they do not want any other parents to go through this type of situation and hope the school will change the way similar incidents are handled.

No comments:

Post a Comment