Over two-thirds of our planet is covered in the stuff—so it makes sense that people have discovered so many different ways to use salt water to tackle problems. From cleaning tricky spills and stains to soothing skin, read on for some of the most incredible ways to use salt water.
Around the House
1. Clean Vases. Build-up on your beautiful vase? Salt water will make it vanish. Shake a salt water solution in the vase, pour out and then do a quick scrub with soap and water.
2. Revive Brooms. Kick that tired old broom back to life with the help of some salt water. Soak the broom in a bucket of salt water for 2-3 hours. You can also do this to condition new straw and corn brooms.
3. Enamel Stains. Stains on your beloved enameled cast iron? Before you go to bed, fill the pan half way with cold water, add 1/4 cup salt, and let it sit overnight. In the morning, bring that water to a boil on the stovetop, and let boil for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out water and and scrub it clean. Repeat if needed.
4. Deodorize the Fridge. The fridge can get very gross—and a salt water bath is just what it needs to freshen up! Avoid those toxic cleaning products near your food and deodorize your fridge by wiping it down with warm, salted water—a ratio of 1 cup per gallon. Wipe it down with a sponge or paper towels.
5. Clean Greasy Stovetops. Spill something gross on the stove? Sprinkle some salt on it while its still hot. After its cooled off, wipe away with a washcloth.
Health, Beauty & Fashion
6. Soothe Poison Ivy. Poison ivy have you itching like crazy? Salt water well help soothe the sting; all you need to do is soak the rash in a warm salt water. You’ll feel instant relief!
7. Zap Away Pit Stains. Salt water is an excellent non-toxic way to remove those dreaded perspiration stains from your clothes. Pour about 4 tablespoons of table salt into 1 quart of hot water. Apply the salt water with a sponge to the stain, wiping until it’s gone. It works like magic!
8. Soothe Toothaches. Gargling with warm salt water helps soothe toothaches. It also can be used as a mouthwash!
9. Extend the life of milk. Add a pinch of salt to your milk to help keep it fresher for longer.
10. Make Hard-Boiled Eggs Easier to Peel. Boiling eggs in salt water will actually help the shells come off more easily than plain water.
11. Preserve Fruit. Apples and stone fruit can wither pretty quickly. If you’d like to keep them fresher for longer, or revive a piece of fruit that is a bit past its optimal freshness, dip them in salt water.