January 28, 2016

Energy Efficient Bulbs Cause Anxiety, Migraines, and Even Cancer. Reasons to Go Back To Incandescent Bulbs

Many of us in the effort to save energy and money, replaced our old standard light bulbs with environmentally-friendly with the new generation energy saving light bulbs. However, the new generation of energy efficient light bulbs are so toxic that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency created an emergency protocol you need to follow in the event of a bulb breakage, due to the poison gas that is released. If broken indoors, these light bulbs release 20 times the maximum acceptable mercury concentration into the air, according to a study conducted by researchers from the Fraunhofer Wilhelm Klauditz Institute for German’s Federal Environment Agency.
Energy Efficient Light Bulbs Can Cause:
  • Dizziness
  • Cluster headaches
  • Migraines
  • Seizures
  • Fatigue
  • Inability to concentrate
  • Anxiety


Energy saving bulbs contain mercury
“Murcury is a potent neurotoxin that is especially dangerous to children and pregnant women. It is especially toxic to the brain, the nervous system, the liver and the kidneys. It can also damage the cardiovascular, immune and reproductive systems. It can lead lead to tremors, anxiety, insomnia, memory loss, headaches, cancer and Alzheimer’s .

Energy saving bulbs can cause cancer
A new study performed by by Peter Braun at Berlin Germany’s Alab Laboratory found these light bulbs contain poisonous carcinogens that could cause cancer:
Phenol, a mildly acidic toxic white crystalline solid, obtained from coal tar and used in chemical manufacture. Naphthalene, a volatile white crystalline compound, produced by the distillation of coal tar, used in mothballs and as a raw material for chemical manufacture.
Styrene, an unsaturated liquid hydrocarbon, obtained as a petroleum byproduct 
Energy saving light bulbs emit a lot of UV rays
Energy saving lamps emit UV-B and traces of UV-C radiation. It is generally recognised that UV-radiation is harmful for the skin (can lead to skin cancer) and the eyes. The radiation from these bulbs directly attacks the immune system, and furthermore damages the skin tissues enough to prevent the proper formation of vitamin D-3.
In conclusion, these bulbs are so toxic that we are not supposed to put them in the regular garbage. They are household hazardous waste. If you break one in a house, you are supposed to open all of your windows and doors, and evacuate the house for at least 15 minutes to minimize your exposure to the poisonous gas. Unfortunately, soon consumers won’t have the option to buy incandescent lights because they won’t be available. The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 (EISA) mandates the phase-out of incandescent light bulbs, and favors energy-efficient compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs.

In the event of a bulb breakage, due to the poison gas that is released, you should follow this emergency procedure:
Before Cleanup
  • People and pets should leave the room.
  • Open a window or door to the outdoor environment to air out the room for 5-10 minutes
  • If you have a central forced air heating or air conditioning system, shut it off.
  • Collect materials needed to clean up the broken bulb:
  • Damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes (for hard surfaces)
  • A glass jar with a metal lid or a sealable plastic bag.
  • Stiff paper or cardboard
  • Sticky tape
During Cleanup
  • Do not vacuum as it could spread mercury-containing powder or mercury vapor, unless broken glass remains after all other cleanup steps have been taken.
  • Be thorough in collecting broken glass and visible powder, scoop up glass fragments and powder using stiff paper or cardboard.
  • pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder with a sticky tape, such as duct tape. Place the used tape in the glass jar or plastic bag.
Place cleanup materials in a sealable container.
After Cleanup
After cleanup, avoid leaving any bulb fragments or cleanup materials indoors, and promptly place all of them, including vacuum cleaner bags, outdoors in a trash container or protected area until materials can be disposed of.
Moreover, check with your local government about disposal requirements in your area, and if  there is no such requirement in your area, you can dispose of the materials with your household trash. However, some localities require fluorescent bulbs (broken or unbroken) be taken to a local recycling center.
Furthermore, you should continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the heating/air conditioning system shut off for several hours afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment